Sunday, May 29, 2011

Element replacement

Yesterday night my Element acted up on me. While using it, it would suddenly become not detectable and then a popup would ask me to format it @_@||| I got loads of data in there which could not fit anywhere else and it was my only repository. Sometimes after plugging it back in also would yield the same result and my worst fear was actually manifesting itself and started to let me know by giving out its dreaded sound, "tick tick tick". For those of you who don't know much about non-solid state harddisk, that sounds means that it is showing signs that it might be dying soon.

Knowing that I must make a backup of whatever that is in there, I have no choice but to secure another 2.5" harddisk. From a previous trip, I noticed 1 model that seems to be sold at quite a cheap price. Reading that line you would have deduced that I am on a shoestring budget. Actually I'm quite surprised by its value. For the same price of RM199, other brands are just offering 500GB but for Hitachi, I am getting a 750GB. By that virtue, my mind was pretty much made up unless I am able to find a 1TB selling for RM250 :p

Hitachi X Mobile

I suppose that is where you can stop having the value because to my horror, it was formatted using FAT32 ie it is unable to store files which are 4GB or more in size ZZZ. I had to reformat it to NTFS and it was a total bitch because it takes more almost 2 hours ZZZ. I started to backup my files from the Element to Hitachi and it has been running for more than 5 hours and from the indicator bar, its about 1/4 done. Hopefully by the time I wake up tomorrow, it would be done and I can be more relaxed knowing that my data are all having a duplicate copy.

My cousin is telling me that there will be something like our PC Fair in Singapore and he is coming to KL. So he might be able to help me get 1. I am now weighing up the offer and a 1TB harddisk is very tempting, IF the price is right, you can bet that I will be owning 1. Fingers crossed.

0 thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails