Monday, September 10, 2012

You Jelly?

After a few months of using stock ICS, the battery consumption was so bad that I had to charge at least twice per day. That is insane and I decided enough was enough. Based on reviews and inputs from my fellow SGS2G users, there are only a couple of very good ROMs to use. I looked around and found that there are developers working on Jelly Bean ROMs instead of ICS now so I searched some more and found the highest version there is and flashed it this morning.

Since its an AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) ie a modded AOSP (Android Open Source Project), this means that the standard Samsung programs that takes too much resources have been removed and have been replaced with alternatives which are better and at the same time saves you some juice.

Based on my usage today, I think I can get back to 1 day charge again ^_^ However, learning the new menus and finding my usual settings took me the rest of the day. Some really took some time finding because I was really not used to the new menus and namings.

I don't really understand why they would build in a function for the "user's" sake but keeps on changing how it is used everytime they come up with a new version @_@" I meant the built in screenshot function. You get used to one and then they change it. I find it annoying to be honest...

 The homescreen now allowing you to choose what you want to access directly. I like the weather widget there which was built in.
 For those who don't know, you can get this easter egg by pressing the version number continiously for 3 times. I find this the most interesting one so far :)
An extra feature this time too if you touch the jelly bean long enough. Your screen will be exploded with these jellies which you can fling around just for the fun of it.

Flashing this ROM for the first time after a quite a long break was unfamiliar at first then I remembered that there were instructions which I did not follow to the dot which caused my phone to be stuck at the bootscreen. It was easily fixed and I got my in working condition in about 2 hours as I had to restore the apps. I showed off to my colleagues who had same phones that I am already running Jelly Bean =D

0 thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails